Friday, August 5, 2011

Discoveries

The night had started innocently or as innocently as any night with this naughty newling. I had just had a fantastic sex session with my mate, and helped my sister Lex prepare for a trip back to her love shack for a movie night with her mate.

I was in a good mood after the camp out the night before with my sisters. I was a bit pissy about Sharon taking it upon herself to burn down the bedroom she shared with Gavin, but if she felt that is what she needed to do to move on then who am I to question her?

I walked out of the front entrance of the mansion and took a deep breath to take in the night around me. There was a bit of moisture in the air, so I was sure we would be seeing some showers soon. I unfurled my wings and took to the air heading for the woods, ready to explore what trouble I could get into for the night.

I soared high above the treetops, enjoying the feeling of the damp air flowing through my loose strands. Suddenly a pang of sorrow made me halt my progress and search around for its source. Off in the distance I spot the silhouette of my twin, Sharon, sitting atop a building clutching something in her hand. I make a move towards her and pause when she gives me a light shake of her head. Fighting between my need to comfort her, and granting her wish to be alone, I offer her a slow nod of understanding before turning back to my night flight.

My heart aches, not only for Sharon’s loss, but the coven’s loss of its leader. I feel the tears slowly slip from my eyes and soon a light drizzle starts up. I relish the mist sprinkling over my skin until my body starts to tingle and a shiver runs up my spine. Not knowing where this feeling is coming from, I lower to the ground below me.

As soon as my feet touch the damp earth the vibrations surge stronger through me.

"What is this place?"

I look around the unfamiliar terrain for any signs why my body is having this reaction. I take a few steps forward and feel the tingling increase with each step I take. With my keen vampire sight I can see a large rock structure ahead of me. Through the fine mist and darkness I can make out an opening to the side of it. As I approach the opening, I lift my arm to brace myself as I peer inside the opening. I'm slightly alarmed as I notice my arm has a light bluish glow to it.

"What the fuck?"

I remove my hand away from the rock structure and lift it to my face. The glow vanished with my contact broken away from the rocks. Perplexed by this new discovery, I lay my hand upon the rocks once again and see the glow return. Curiosity peeked; I walk through the structures entrance to find out what is causing this reaction from my body. The floor was steep and jagged. I had to twist my slight body just to squeeze through. Once I passed the narrow passage, the opening widens and my body hums even more. I look at my hands, arms, and down at my body to see that the bluish glow has spread across my skin making it almost translucent.

I lift my eyes from observing my illuminated body and scan the area inside the cave. My eyes widen as I see what is within.



“Crystals? Here?”

The cave is covered in large gypsum crystals, tall as buildings; the air was sweltering and thick. If I hadn't been a vampire I'd probably have a hard time breathing. I use my wings to navigate the crystal terrain.

I moved past a large crystal and my senses go on alert when I catch the faint scent of death. I I track the decaying scent until my eyes locate a tiny figure laying among a crystal bed, the head tilted in an unnatural angle. I lift my hand to my mouth as I crouch down beside it, brushing away the golden strands hiding the child's face and gasp in shock as I realize who she is.

"Harper..."

Bloody tears slip from my eyes as I think of how this innocent child had met her demise. How long had she been here?

A voice echoes in my head and I lift my eyes only to find my guide Toni standing across from me.

'Now you know. You must help her, Viktoria.'

I will, Antonia. I'll get her to where she needs to be. I'm sorry it took me this long to find her. Thank you for leading me to her.

I scoop up Harper's tiny body careful to handle it gently and carry it to the entrance of the crystal cave. I'm able to get us both out with a little trouble, and am thankful when the cool night air blows against my sweaty skin giving me relief. I take to the air, Harper's body still in my arms and search the grounds to find a place to put her to rest.

I land at a small meadow covered in wildflowers. I lower Harper's body gently to the ground before flying off to grab the things I'll need.

I enter the mansion, and run around to grab the candles, a shovel and a blanket. I know she's watching. I can feel her eyes on me as I move around.

"Harper, I know you're here. It's time, little one. You can't stay here anymore. There won't be anyone here and I don't think you want to be here alone. I can help you, please trust me. I'll get you back to your loved ones. I promise you that."

I whisper out softly, wiping at my eyes as I think about the other promise I made.

"I promised Gavin I'd help you..."

I the vibrations around my hand increase and know that it is her holding onto it. I smile down at her, trying to reassure her that all would be well, and leave the mansion with her. We walk the path back to small clearing where I'd left her body and I slip my hand from hers as I approach the fragile body gently and wrap it in blanket I'd grabbed. I set it aside beside the place I'd decided to bury her, under a beautiful tree, and stab the shovel into the ground to start the grave.

I think to myself that this isn't the first time I've had to cross over a spirit and I'm sure it's not the last in my long life. I continue to think of all that I've lost in such a short span of time and feel like this is me burying my past. I finish the grave, flying up to the tiny bundle awaiting me, and scoop it up to place at the bottom of the hole. I look up when I feel her again and see Harper watching my every move. I see her ethereal body shudder lightly and know this has to be both hard and relieving to finally be put at rest. I fly back up to the ground above and start to cover her body with the earth. I finish covering her her and start to light the candles around the small mound of dirt. I say my prayers, calling upon the angels to lead Harper to her final destination, wherever it is I know they will watch over her and guide her.

My body starts to tremble from all the higher energies around me, the light beings and angels coming forth to help this child's soul cross over. I smile as she hesitantly walks toward the angels, turning back to give me one last look and a small thanks.

She calls me her angel and I shake my head laughing lightly as I think 'I'm no angel.' I smile nodding and wish her well on her travels. As she turns back to the angels to take their hand, I watch as they all slowly disappear into the night.

I walk around, blowing out the candles and gather up my things. I take one look over the meadow, seeing the early morning rays slowly starting to paint and light the horizon and turn to head back to the mansion. It wasn't home anymore. I knew that now. I was here alone and I needed to move on.



I walk into the mansion, putting away the things I had used and walk to my room to gather the spellbook Gavin had left me, the time turner he had left behind, and with my decision made I head to the portal room to head back to my time. I never belonged in the year 4915 and I needed to get back to me. I hop into the portal and head back to the year 2011.

Powered by Blogger.